Friday 27 August 2010

Media Audience

This film is aimed at a psychograpic audience of explorers due to its unique hybrid genre. I think the age groupt targeted is possibly 16-35, as the themes in the film are very adult and the actors would be recognisable to both older and younger adults.

Sweeney Todd is a very dark film with very dark themes such as death. The film is also very gory. It could be assumed the film is aimed at people interested in dark genres. It also informs audiences of what life was like during the dark ages appealing to audiences with an interest in the past, especially British history.

The film was released in January which clearly rules out children as the target audience, leaving it to older audiences.

I think this film would have a small following, due to it's dark nature. However, due to the famous actors from famous films (Depp), and actors from the Harry Potter films, it could have a larger following than I think.

Dominant reading is to sympathise with the protagonist. Though the protagonist kills, it’s due to his troubled past. The oppositional reading is possibly that the protagonist is taking as a comical character rather than a serious character.

I sympathise with the protagonist because it has been made clear at the beginning of the film through the flashbacks that he had been forced to prison for something he didn’t do. Though there are a lot of similarities between the characters of Sweeney Todd and Ms Lovett, do not sympathise with her and her love motives for lying about the death of Lucy (Benjamin Barker’s wife). I don’t think my age, or my back ground is the affect of my opinion. However it is a possibility that my gender, as a female, causes me to identify with the sensitivity of the protagonist, as he is an alternative representation of men.

No comments:

Post a Comment